Tips for Maintaining and Improving Your Oral Health
- Brush twice a day with a toothbrush with soft bristles. You may also benefit from using an electric toothbrush.
- Clean between your teeth once a day with floss or another flossing tool.
- If you wear full or partial dentures, remember to clean them on a daily basis. Take your dentures out of your mouth for at least four hours every day. It’s best to remove them at night.
- Drink tap water. Since most contains fluoride, it helps prevent tooth decay no matter how old you are.
- Quit smoking. Besides putting you at greater risk for lung and other cancers, smoking increases problems with gum disease, tooth decay and tooth loss.
- Visit your dentist. Visit your dentist regularly for a complete dental check-up.
Caregiving for a Disabled or Elderly Loved One
- Help them keep their mouth clean with reminders to brush and floss daily.
- Make sure they get to a dentist regularly.